A.K.U.G.U.R.U. actually means 'I am a Teacher' (Aku guru in Bahasa Malaysia). It contains all the items related to my profession as a secondary school English teacher which includes my English lessons, my interests, my passion for Liverpool FC, and also my family affairs. Hope you enjoy your reading!

(The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of information taken from this blog.)

ASK ME ANYTHING!

Type your question here and I will find the answer for you.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Virus, Virus, Oh Go Away!

Part of my job as a person in-charge of ICT in the school is to ensure that all computer is virus-free There are many types of viruses found in our computers; some of them were malicious and some not that dangerous. However, I took no chances and tried to remove them all. Some of the viruses (and the method I used to remove them) are mentioned below:

1. Trojan.BAT.Shutdown.bi found in C:\WINDOWS\pc-off.bat
This is a very malicious trojan where I found it repeatedly shut down a computer in the computer lab, making it difficult for me to do anything about it. So, I hooked the hard drive to another pc and scanned it with Kaspersky, which deleted it from the hard drive.


2. IM-Worm.Win32.Sohanad.bm
This is a common virus found in our computers. It copied itself and made dubious new folders all around the system. Actually, according to the definition, it is a worm generation programme which can create different types of worms when residing in the system. Luckily, however, Kaspersky picked it out easily and did the job for me.


Virus Prevention Tip:

It is quite perplexing how users always neglected to scan their removable drive (eg. pen drives and diskettes) before using it. No amount of anti viruses are to be responsible for the insertion of the virus if they are not used. This is what they should do:

1. Insert the pen drive.
2. Do not open the pen drive (or diskette) when prompted by this dialogue box.


3. Scan with anti virus (Kaspersky is provided by the Ministry of Education, thankfully)
4. Use the pen drive safely.


There is also a technical way (using CMD.exe or Command Window) of removing pen drive virus I found here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails