A.K.U.G.U.R.U. actually means 'I am a Teacher' (Aku guru in Bahasa Malaysia). It contains all the items related to my profession as a secondary school English teacher which includes my English lessons, my interests, my passion for Liverpool FC, and also my family affairs. Hope you enjoy your reading!

(The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of information taken from this blog.)

ASK ME ANYTHING!

Type your question here and I will find the answer for you.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

What the heck is that? Well, the first time I encounter this word is when I finished my qu
est, I mean, my game of Bookworm Adventure Deluxe, when the hero (a bookworm named Lex, of course!) throws his final attack to the enemy's boss to save the Great Library from destruction. Initially, I thought that it is a made up word, the hero being using weird words throughout the game. However, accidentally I bumped into this article when I read my New Straits Times, (actually, my younger brother did before me, and being with me all the time fighting the enemies he told me about this article. I admit when I read newspapers, I will go from back page because of the sports) today. The word is clearly mentioned with its meaning. So, seriously, how many of you know that many words you think you know? Well, according to the article, there are already 999,999 words in English language, and the millionth word will be submitted in April 2009. The reason for this? English language does not have the equivalent of Malay language's Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka (DBP) to monitor its development. Thus, it can accommodate or transform many other words from other languages to its vocabulary.

As for the game itself, I will give it a rating of 5/5 as an English teacher!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails