A.K.U.G.U.R.U. actually means 'I am a Teacher' (Aku guru in Bahasa Malaysia). It contains all the items related to my profession as a secondary school English teacher which includes my English lessons, my interests, my passion for Liverpool FC, and also my family affairs. Hope you enjoy your reading!

(The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of information taken from this blog.)

ASK ME ANYTHING!

Type your question here and I will find the answer for you.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Teaching Literature to Weak Pupils

Tomorrow, I will attempt teaching Si Tenggang's Homecoming to 4 Sejahtera pupils, a weak class in term of English studies (other subjects also, for that matter). Their level of command is around 5 percent only; their vocabulary is so little, even simple words such as 'reach' they got it wrong and wrote it as 'rich'. It will be an uphill task; I struggled getting them to understand Sonnet 18. However, I will try teaching the poem while at the same time upgrading their vocabulary by asking them to fill in the blanks in the poem's synopsis with several target words. This way, the pupils will learn at least 10 new words and understand the poem in general.

By the way, there's a great website on literature for secondary school pupils which I want to promote. You can enjoy it by clicking here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails