A.K.U.G.U.R.U. actually means 'I am a Teacher' (Aku guru in Bahasa Malaysia). It contains all the items related to my profession as a secondary school English teacher which includes my English lessons, my interests, my passion for Liverpool FC, and also my family affairs. Hope you enjoy your reading!

(The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of information taken from this blog.)

ASK ME ANYTHING!

Type your question here and I will find the answer for you.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

My Student and Scoliosis. HELP!



I watched in pain when I visited her the day before her surgery. She looked so pale, anxious to know what will happen to her future. She was eager to take the exam; to write an essay for her favourite English subject, but I assured her that her health was more important and she could write plenty of essays for me after getting better. She was diagnosed with Scoliosis, an abnormality in the spine. This results in her uneven shoulders, and frequent back pains, thus her decision (or her family's, I don't actually know) for the surgery was justifiable. Or, is it?


Today, after the surgery and several days at the hospital, she is permitted to return home. However, she is not to bend her body for at least a year! I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to perceive that a teenager has to endure this pain. She even has to take SPM exam at the end of this year! This prompts me to rummage through the Internet about this Scoliosis, and what I found in one of the site I visited is very intriguing. It claims that there is actually no medical justification for surgery, rather it is a cosmetic one! However, I'm not going to be swayed by this one article, which is probably written by a person who failed her surgery, but it still makes me anxious whether her decision to have it before her SPM exam is a correct one. There are actually exercises and corrective braces to consider against surgery, but still the decision has to be made by her.



Hopefully, she will heal in time for her SPM. We; your friends and teachers; wish you a speedy recovery.


Here are some articles I read:









2 comments:

sleepinl8 said...

Very brave girl. Lord have mercy, can you imagine? We take all these movements for granted, not even realizing we use them - until, poof, we can't use them anymore! My friend doesn't have scoliosis, but this post reminded me of her. Her entire right side of her body is completely limp and paralyzed. Well, that was the case, anyhow - she is much better now and making continuous progress. Anyway, I also knew a girl who had both corrective procedures done on her back - both surgery and the brace for a year. Ugh! My God - bless your student!

iiumchessmaster said...

Maybe your friend got stroke? My father died of stroke last year..

Related Posts with Thumbnails